If there was one word to describe the last few days, it would be: crippled.
I am eagerly looking forward to the end of the semester!
There is no way I am going to be cooking anything nice and pretty for a while. Lucky for me, I still live at home, so I have the privilege of being cooked a hot nutritious meal every night. Not really going to whip out a camera for that though. Okay, maybe next time, and y’all can get a look at what yummy Chinese dishes I get to eat.
For now, I’m filling out the survey that’s been passed around the VeganMoFo circle the past few days. Credit goes to Whoa Wren for starting it off:
1. Favorite non-dairy milk?
Almond Breeze Unsweetened Original.
2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook?
Oy. I sort of want to bake a birthday cake for myself at the end of the month. Otherwise, I want to finally make the Tofu Omelets from Vegan Brunch, and (though not a new recipe or dish) I need to make cornbread. It’s not fall without cornbread (and chili).
3. Topping of choice for popcorn?
I haven’t eaten popcorn since my pregan days! I would choose EB and salt, I guess. I really want to try nooch and cayenne. Maybe cinnamon…would that be weird?
4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
Not completely disastrous, but I bought the wrong kind of tamarind for the Tamarind Lentils recipe in Veganomicon. It didn’t taste bad, but I think it was supposed to taste a lot better!
5. Favorite pickled item?
Pickled cucumbers aka pickles!
6. How do you organize your recipes?
I keep a binder of Internet and magazine recipes right by my cookbooks. And a bunch of tiny scraps of paper tucked into the inside sleeve of said binder. I also have a file on the computer for recipes, organized into the category “Recipes” and subcategory “Sweets”.
7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal?
Trash. I would love to get my parents in on composting.
8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods…what would they be (don’t worry about how you’ll cook them)?
Bananas, Kabocha squash, and Durian
9. Fondest food memory from your childhood?
Making carrot muffins with my mom.
10. Favorite vegan ice cream?
Living Harvest’s Tempt Chocolate Fudge Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert
11. Most loved kitchen appliance?
I love my processor for blending nuts and tofu into the most delicious things, like cashew ricotta or quiche filling.
12. Spice/herb you would die without?
Basil. I don’t have it often, but I lurrve it!
13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time?
My first cookbook: Vegan Vittles!
14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?
Homemade plum, for sure.
15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend?
Cake with a ton of frosting, of course!
16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?
17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
I am completely devoted to breakfast.
18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator?
I’m not sure and I’m too lazy to check.
19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.
Black bean burgers, strawberries, and bread.
20. What’s on your grocery list?
Nothing at the moment. I just bought 3 jars of Maranatha Peanut Butter and 9 cartons of Almond Breeze last week at a reaaally good price. (I just really needed somewhere to brag about that!)
21. Favorite grocery store?
Choices and Whole Foods
22. Name a recipe you’d love to veganize, but haven’t yet.
23. Food blog you read the most (besides Isa’s because I know you check it everyday). Or maybe the top 3?
Vegan-wise: Another One Bites the Crust, Vegan Eats & Treats, Chocolate Covered Katie
24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?
I really liked Denman’s Island’s chocolate bars.
25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately?
It’s not so recent, but I bought a rather expensive jar of Artisana Cacao Bliss. Unfortunately, I realized that my tastebuds cannot handle the extravagant concentration of coconut butter and oil.
26. Ingredients you are scared to work with?
Saffron, because it’ll be expensive if I mess it up!