Can you believe it’s October already? I can’t! I honestly can’t remember the last time a month went by so quickly. Time was definitely going in slow-mo when I was working, and even when I was working and going to school last spring. Now that my mindless 9-month stint as a grocery store cashier is over, and with school back in session, time has freaking wings!
- Rain & umbrellas (not awesome)
- Boots & scarves (awesome)
- Beautifully coloured leaves and puddles (awesome)
- My birthday (rather awesome)
- The start of hockey season (what do you freaking think?! <3)
- VeganMoFo (do I need to tell you…awesome!)
It’s been almost 2 years and 5 months since I made the veggie leap, and I’ve never felt better. This will sound cliche, and I hate to start off VeganMoFo (and my blog, sort of, anyway) sounding cliche, but: it saved my life. Or at least my sanity. They are very similar…
As always, October is also one of the busiest months of the year, with my classes really getting underway, and as midterms, papers, and presentations loom larger in the horizon. Sometimes all I feel like I do is eat, sleep, and study! So, forgive me for not presenting superbly presented gourmet meals for VeganMoFo, and for not posting until 10 pm PST.
To kick off the next 31 days, and in the spirit of no-time-I-need-to-watch-my-Canucks-play-their-first-game-of-the-season-study, I thought I’d share with you my favourite no-frills vegan (no animal product) food at the moment. It’s really thrilling; here’s the recipe:
- Wash a large sweet potato. Pat it dry. Pierce it several times with a fork.
- Microwave for 5 minutes.
- Use the fork to pry open the skin on the side that you want to eat from. (Oh, the sweet potato should be easily stabbed all the way through; if not, it’s not cooked yet.) Use the tines of the fork to mash it up a bit.\
- Sprinkle on some cinnamon to your taste. Mash some more.
- Eat. Enjoy.
Thrilling, right? All I needed was a picture to complete this.
Seriously, sweet potatoes are not only nutritious – you can get your fill of complex carbohydrates, dietary fibre, beta carotene, Vitamin A, and Vitamin B6; they are smooth, creamy, perfect for colder days, and fill you with warm fuzzy feelings that conjure up images not unlike puppies, and kittens, and bunny slippers. Perfect.
What does October mean to you?